The decision to implement an integrated workplace management system (IWMS) is an important and commendable step that comes with several transformative benefits for your business. However, it’s not a project to be taken lightly because this process will require that you invest some time and capital. It’s therefore vital that you know what to expect and that you are guided in choosing the best IWMS for your organization. Anything else could turn into an operational and financial nightmare.
To help you make the right decision and avoid problems down the road, let’s start by asking: Do you know the different types of IWMS software available today?
There are three distinct types of IWMS software that you can choose from:
- On-premise IWMS
- Hosted IWMS
- SaaS IWMS
Below is a no-fluff look at each of these options as well as the pros and cons of each one without any of the technical jargon or “mystery.” Read on to get the facts that will help you to decide which solution is best for your needs.
1. On-Premise IWMS
On-premise solutions are the more traditional and older methods for deploying different types of enterprise software. In this arrangement, once you purchase the software and license from the vendor, the solution is installed on your company’s internal server. Thereafter, your team is responsible for managing and maintaining the IWMS in-house.
- Your company has full control over the system and you can manage the data, accessibility, and security as you choose.
- If your business is currently operating in an area with limited or poor internet connectivity, it won’t disrupt your operations as your on-site staff can simply keep working via intranet.
- It’s a pricey option as you will likely need to invest in considerable hardware upgrades at the start and pay for upgrades at intervals.
- It requires dedicated in-house IT staff.
- It can be clumsy and clunky for staff working off-site to access the database.
- Your company is responsible for backing up the data daily and for maintaining the integrity of the database.
2. Hosted IWMS
Hosted solutions offer much more flexibility than on-premise models. With a hosted IWMS, you buy and own the solution outright. After purchase, the solution is installed at a data center on your behalf. Thereafter, you manage and maintain the software in-house.
- Your company owns the license indefinitely.
- Although you will manage the software, a reputable IWMS vendor will offer you all the support you need during implementation and afterwards.
- You have fewer concerns about security and hosting equipment (servers). That’s the responsibility of the hosting center.
- You can choose to have a much smaller in-house IT team.
- The initial costs can be very high.
- Upgrading to updated versions will usually attract extra fees.
3. SaaS IWMS
Also referred to as web-based IWMS, this is the most modern way of delivering facility management solutions. Not surprisingly, the SaaS model continues to gain rapid popularity in every industry year after year. The SaaS setup offers you the most flexibility of all three. It works on a subscription basis to a vendor-hosted software.
- The upfront costs are much less as it’s a pay-as-you-go model.
- The service provider maintains the software remotely.
- Deployment is expedited. Schedule a demo, subscribe online, and start using the package within a short time frame.
- You require minimal infrastructure and technical know-how.
- It’s flexible, secure, and mobile. Add new users, get immediate access to upgrades, and connect with your team even from remote locations.
- Your data is automatically stored and backed up in a secure cloud server.
- Good internet connection is required for data access.
Certainly, each type of IWMS has its upsides and downsides. But it is obvious that more companies will choose to migrate to the SaaS model in the near future – the convenience, benefits, and flexibility are simply undeniable for savvy business owners.
If you still have questions do not hesitate to contact us. There’s much more information that we would be happy to share with you. Schedule a demo today and let’s talk.Free DemoFree Demo